Click to listen this episode right here on the blog(no app needed)
"When you subscribe to the Stay Grounded Podcast, you help new people discover the show. And it means the podcast will automatically show up in your app of choice every time a new episode is released on Saturdays."Subscribe
EP. 030 | “Maybe in life the real risk is not taking risks.”
If you’re up for a deep, intellectual conversation that gets you thinking, then you’re in for a real treat with this episode.
That’s because I’m speaking with the incredible Jon Berghoff. Raised in the birthplace of Apple, Jon is a father of three and the co-founder and president of the Flourishing Leadership Institute.
Jon is one of the most curious people I’ve ever met. His super smart, analytical brain is dialled into the benefit of human systems. His mind is always on because he’s constantly looking to be better. I learned so much from this episode and I’m sure you will too.
Passionate about unified mindfulness (which Jon talks about in detail during this episode), Jon is fascinated with unlocking human systems to empower others to be the best they can possibly be
It’s why topics such as concentration, presence, and curiosity feature strongly - because they are keys that can unlock life.
We end up choosing work that unknowingly we are trying to heal something from our past we are trying to be whole.
As well as business and personal development, Jon also talks at length and his kids.
Currently aged, 8, 6, and 4 Jon describes how parenthood can be polarizing and how his children teach him so much. If you’re a parent too, I think you’ll love the down-to-earth conversation we have about the challenges of juggling work and home.
So brew yourself a coffee and get ready to be stimulated.
Thanks to Jon’s wisdom and passion for what he does, I guarantee you’ll be left with some new ideas - even some entirely new thoughts - that will empower you to find more success, fulfillment, and happiness in your everyday.
The more present I can be, the more connected I can be to the highest possible potential that could emerge at any given situation.
Some Questions I Ask:
- ● What was it like for you when you grew up and how did your job roles shape you? [0:56]
- ● How does your obsession with learning factor into your life today? [10:15]
- ● How does presence bake itself into your life and what tools do you use to be more present. [18:25]
- ● How do you bring passionate mindfulness to moments and situations you don’t really want to be in. [25:06]
- ● How does gratitude fit into the practice of mindfulness? [35:27]
- ● What have you learned from your own kids? [35:27]
- ● How do you stay grounded on a daily basis. [44:36]
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- ● The story of the most important thing Jon’s dad taught him and how it unlocked a part of his DNA. [4:05]
- ● The time at high school when Jon’s life was completely turned around - and what his first mentor told him. [6:16]
- ● The connection between Jon’s work at Facebook & BMW and his childhood struggles. [8:52]
- ● Why Jon wants to be intentional with his curiosity and what doors that opens for him. [11:00]
- ● Jon’s intentional learning plan and the importance of your value system. [11:14]
- ● Why curiosity is a strength and a shadow and how Jon manages this. [12:29]
- ● Systemic mindfulness, how you unlock it, and the ultimate end goal. [13:40]
- ● Jon’s criteria for reading and the inspiring reason he won’t just pick up a book. [16:47]
- ● The O’Brien Principle and why this is critical for your life. [21:47]
- ● How mindfulness strengthens your attention muscle and why this is the common denominator for anything Jon wants to get done. [24:45]
- ● The attention skills that mindfulness helps you develop. [27:40]
- ● Jon’s empowering definition of sensory clarity and how it helps you be more mindful and present. [30:41]
- ● Jon’s thoughts on gratitude. [37:00]
- ● Why having kids is a sobering, polarizing experience. [44:00]