Lifestyle (15)Start Here 🔥 Coffee Lover's Guide To COVID-19 Create Your Morning Routine Why Gratitude Makes You Happy Benefits of Manual Brewing Traveling with Coffee Why Drink Black Coffee What To Do w/ Used Coffee Grounds Glossary Of Coffee Culture Terms Don't Be A Coffee Snob Coffee Podcasts Worth A Listen Ultimate Coffee Gift Guide Coffee Charities (How You Can Help) 5 Rituals To Try With Coffee 5 Ways Coffee Can Help With Family
Equipment Basics (11)16 Coffee Accessories We Love Best Gifts for Coffee Lovers Glossary of Coffee Brewing Terms Essential Brewing Equipment Cloth vs Metal vs Paper Filters Best Travel Brewers Reasons You Need a Coffee Scale 4 Reasons To Avoid Keurigs Using Reusable K-Cup Filters Best Gear For Dorms And Offices Best Budget Coffee Gear Under $50
Brewing Best Practices (12)Starter Guide: Perfect Coffee At Home Importance of Fresh Ground Coffee Fixing Your Water Supply Best Water Temperature For Brewing Tips for Brewing Eco-Friendly Coffee Why You Shouldn't Freeze Coffee Easy Guide To Coffee Bean Storage Best Coffee-to-Water Ratios Measuring Coffee Without A Scale Things That Ruin Your Coffee How To Brew Coffee For Big Groups Want To Be A Coffee Aficionado?
Tasting Coffee (8)
Troubleshooting Coffee (4)
Coffee & Health (6)
The Coffee Lover’s Guide To Brewing During A Pandemic
Written by: Garrett Oden
WOW. Am I right? Global pandemics are no joke, and COVID-19 is really hitting hard.
Firstly, this is a huge bummer. It’s okay to admit it. We feel you.
Secondly, it’s more important than ever to take care of yourself, and we think your daily coffee is the perfect avenue for doing so. It’s like we always say…
You can’t control much in life, but you can control your morning coffee—so make the most of it. Those first few minutes when you wake up are 100% yours to use to create happiness. That will never change.
So whether you’re a regular home brewer, or you’re still getting used to making coffee at home instead of stopping at a cafe, we want to help turn your daily coffee ritual into an extraordinary moment of joy that’s just for you.
- The only good way to freeze coffee if you’re stocking up
- Homemade alternatives to your favorite drive-thru coffee chains
- 3 ways to calm pandemic anxiety every morning with your daily brew
- What happens if the coffee runs out
Welcome to The Coffee Lover’s Guide To Brewing During A Pandemic.
Freeze Your Coffee Beans If You’re Stocking Up
Here’s the thing. We've generally suggested not freezing coffee. It’s not very convenient, and there’s a lot of room for error—it’s just easier and tastier to buy fresh-roasted beans and have them delivered on a regular schedule.
But these are unusual times.
Alt: how to freeze coffee beans the right way
If you’re stocking up on a few extra bags just in case—because running out of coffee would make this awful pandemic unbearable—you still only have 2-3 weeks of peak freshness before the beans start losing their best flavors.
❄️ Thankfully, there is a way you can freeze the beans to preserve their freshness—but it has to be done just right.
Read these instructions carefully, because one mistake can destroy a lot of flavor.
- Put the beans in an airtight container. The original bag won’t work, because moisture can seep in through the valve. Use a ziplock bag or tupperware with a tight-fitting lid.
- Freeze. You get how this works.
- ⚠️ When you’re ready to unfreeze coffee, do not open the airtight container. The beans must thaw to room temperature before they’re exposed to warmer air. If you open the container while they’re still freezing cold, the difference in temperature will cause condensation to form on the beans, destroying their best flavors quickly.
- Open the container and enjoy your coffee. If you waited until the coffee was fully thawed, your beans will be just as tasty as they were when you froze them. Boom!
Unfortunately, freezing does leave the organic compounds in your coffee weakened. So instead of 2-3 weeks of peak freshness, you can expect just ~10 days of peak freshness.
That’s why, while you can freeze an entire bag of coffee in an airtight container, most people prefer to freeze their beans in smaller batches—enough for 5-7 days at a time.
Like To Drive Thru Starbucks? Try Homemade Alternatives
If you’re used to grabbing your favorite coffee drink on the way to work from a beloved chain, you’re probably getting tired of the boring coffee + milk combo.
Let’s spice things up.
Alt: homemade starbucks drinks
Firstly, black coffee can open up a whole new world of flavor. A handful of blueberries, a field of aromatic flowers, the crispness of a ripe green apple—specialty coffee enjoyed black is rich with complex, interesting flavors you can never taste when you add milk or creamer.
And these exotic flavors are completely natural—no additives or flavor oils necessary. Don’t believe me? Check this out.
Calm The COVID-19 Anxiety With These 3 Coffee Rituals
Stress levels are high. You may be having trouble sleeping. It’s not just you—it’s everyone.
But that doesn’t mean you’re powerless to fight against that anxiety. In fact, there are some very real, tangible ways you can calm your mind, refocus, and start each day on the right foot.
And when you start your morning this way, those good vibes carry through the entire day.
Alt: morning coffee rituals
Tomorrow morning, don’t open social media or check the news right when you wake up. Try one of these happiness-generating rituals and feel the difference it makes. You deserve to feel good.
- Invest mental focus on the coffee brewing process. Stand over the beans as they grind and let the rich, fresh aromas rise to your nose. As the grounds brew, pay attention to the sounds of the water draining and notice how the aromas evolve as hundreds of chemical reactions take place. Brew by hand, if possible. Let the coffee draw you in.
- Write down 5 things you’re grateful for. Studies show, over and over again, that giving your mind space to be grateful—even over small, silly things—helps you not over-focus on the negative. And we’re all on negative-overload. The time it takes to make a french press or pot of coffee is perfect for this simple, day-altering ritual.
- Create a quick vision for the day while you sip your coffee. Writing down a few reasonable goals for the day gives you a firm footing from which to launch. Especially in a time as chaotic as a pandemic, when it’s easy to get sucked in the bad news rabbit hole, this kind of focus is essential for making the most of each day. Try one big and three small goals for each day.
Taking this time for yourself creates space for you to generate happiness. That’s the power of delicious coffee you love. When your morning mug is more than a cup of energy, it can pay happiness dividends for hours and hours.
That’s why we’re passionate about getting the best beans possible in your hands.
What Happens If The Coffee Runs Out?
No. Don’t even go there.
It’s too terrible to think about.
That’s why we’re doing something unusual for us: we’re offering a huge discount ($34.97 off) on our Signature Trio coffee bundle—and throwing in a FREE coffee burr grinder you can grind fresh every morning.
So far, our coffee roasting facility is running smoothly, but if something was to change, we’d hate for you to be left hanging (many roasters are already offline).
If stocking up on coffee adds some peace of mind, grab our Signature Trio bundle here.